classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What is the age of this car please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: What is the age of this car please Reply with quote

[b]
I am doing some research into women motorists , going back to the invention of the motor car.

I came across this lovely picture .I was particularly interested in the clothes worn.However how about all you experts telling me what make is the car? Pat

[/img]
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it is a 6HP Panhard et Levassor from Paris made around 1896.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Thanks for identifying this. Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
I believe that it is a 6HP Panhard et Levassor from Paris made around 1896.

Thank you so much for this info. I looked at the picture and saw "Lac" in the background French for lake I think.

How did you know about the make , do you have a reference book on veteran cars or an encyclopaedic knowledge of them all ? If it is a reference book, could you let me know the title .My family are always asking what I want for my birthday .
I looked on the Veteran Car Association website and they do a video on that of the London to Brighton rally..fascinating but only three women driving.
Many thanks..Pat
Geoffp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best book that I know of is 'Brighton Belles' (cars not drivers) by David Burgess-Wise, in fact there is a picture of a virtually identical car on the front cover Smile . I think it is out print but you can still obtain it new through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1861267649/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1253447613&sr=8-1&condition=new
Newcastle Books is someone I know from an internet group, and I would recommend him. Just don't mention Geoff from the Cave Wink

A liittle while ago there was a programme on the telly where Penelope Keith was retracing the jpurney of an early female motorist, but I don't know if it is available on DVD.

Geoff
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re books on veteran cars Reply with quote

alfanut wrote:
The best book that I know of is 'Brighton Belles' (cars not drivers) by David Burgess-Wise, in fact there is a picture of a virtually identical car on the front cover Smile . I think it is out print but you can still obtain it new through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1861267649/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1253447613&sr=8-1&condition=new
Newcastle Books is someone I know from an internet group, and I would recommend him. Just don't mention Geoff from the Cave Wink

A liittle while ago there was a programme on the telly where Penelope Keith was retracing the jpurney of an early female motorist, but I don't know if it is available on DVD.

Geoff

Thank you..I have just ordered this book from Amazon.All my reference books were on horses and labradors oh how it has changed!!Many thanks Pat
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

I knew that I had seen a picture of this car in one of my books and I found an identical one in 'Daimler 1896 to 1946' by St John C. Nixon.

Daimler bought one of these in 1896 and tested it with their own engine fitted and a photograph in the book shows it to be identical to your picture. The picture shows it to be driven by the infamous Harry J. Lawson at Brighton on the occasion of the 'Emancipation' Run on Saturday 14th November 1896.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
Pat,

I knew that I had seen a picture of this car in one of my books and I found an identical one in 'Daimler 1896 to 1946' by St John C. Nixon.

Daimler bought one of these in 1896 and tested it with their own engine fitted and a photograph in the book shows it to be identical to your picture. The picture shows it to be driven by the infamous Harry J. Lawson at Brighton on the occasion of the 'Emancipation' Run on Saturday 14th November 1896.

Thank you so much for this info...I'll have to look up Harry.J. Lawson ,the infamous,a name not known to me.I'll try to resist trying to buy the Daimler book..

Just thanks to all the Forum members who keep me informed about all my queries,much appreciated...Pat

[img]

[/img] We refuse to dress like this when Pat finds a Bullnose.
from Pat's labradors
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Super book on veteran cars Reply with quote

alfanut wrote:

Geoff

Thank you Geoff I ordered this from Amazon and received a brand new copy at an incredibly reasonable price.I've been comparing the photos.
The stories accompanying the cars are so enjoyable.

So many thanks...Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: