classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metric & Imperial mix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Metric & Imperial mix Reply with quote

I started to rebuild the Morris 8 gearbox over the week end, fortunately all it needed was the drive gear bearing, but as I had it in bits I thought I'd replace the 2 mainshaft bearings and various bushes as well, below is a pic of the mainshaft ; its 2 bearing fit on the left hand side either side of the roughly machined area.

To my surprise the front mainshaft bearing is imperial (as is the drive gear bearing and all the other bushes) but the end one is metric ! the front part of the shaft (about middle in the pic) is 1" diameter and the end machined to 25.00mm, the codes on the original bearings confirm the mix!

I know Morris bought a French engine and gearbox firm, but to mix imperial and metric dimensions up on the same machined shaft seems very odd?

Anyone come across this sort of thing before?

Dave

Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on a Morris 8 series 1.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: