classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Can anyone ID this Chassis, axle, wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Can anyone ID this Chassis, axle, wheels Reply with quote

Hi
I bought this car in the 1970's
Was told at the time that the chassis and front axle were from an Austin 12.
I have been informed that it is not Austin, nor is the axle Austin.
Was told recently that the wheels maybe Austin 7. then not Austin 7
BUT they might be for an Austin 7 special, they sit on the drum not over it.

A birdseye view of the chassis

The Axle,

One of the stub axles

A Wheel, both sides

Another view of the chassis taken today

Any help welcome
Thanks
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS to the birdseye view
The square box frame work front and back are mods, as is the angle iron and battery box at the ends of the frame
The russty bar with all the holes in is also extra,but upside down and not in the right place
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter

I'm getting to the point of thinking this is more of a hybrid than was first thought Twisted Evil Very Happy
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wheels are 19 inch, then they look like Pre-war Morris Minor, however I doubt if the chassis is from one.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Thanks Peter

I'm getting to the point of thinking this is more of a hybrid than was first thought Twisted Evil Very Happy

Sorry Roger,

I think I orphaned your reply by deleting my post after thinking it wasn't very helpful or accurate. There aren't that many small pre-war cars with cruciform chassis. It's certainly not an Austin 7 but someone else will need to comment on the Austin 12 chassis suggestion. I can confirm that the 1939 12 did have X bracing though.

Peter
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a suggestion but to me that it might be SS2, or standard 12 chassis and probably the axle as well.

Had a long conversation with a classic car restorer, not sure if he is still trading.
He has a vague memory that an SS2, or standard 12 looked like this.
He seems to recall that the SS2 sourced part from the standard 12.

As to the wheel, he thinks they are Austin 7 specials from 'West London Wheels'

This gentleman might be able to match the trackrod ends, if so it is all, touch wood, down hill from here.

Thanks for the help

Peter
I did catch the other post, and I think Standard was the only one missing.
Or was the 'Not these' from another member Very Happy
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have found it / them

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/images/flying/french349/3495.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/cars/post_vintage/features/french9.htm&usg=__stODM-5HPmW4Fd4NceXSoLs1EhQ=&h=557&w=741&sz=71&hl=en&start=181&um=1&tbnid=yOfxKHkSjEXNmM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstandard%2B9%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DKUK_en-GBGB214GB214%26sa%3DN%26start%3D180%26um%3D1

Looking at the two photos that show the bare front end, it looks too much like mine, also the steering box is about right for the brackets or parts that have been cut off, the outriggers for the body / running board is about right , mine have been cut short.
The Axle looks the same, as do the brake drums, AND it has three spoke wheels, the hubs look the same, shame its not in the nude

getting there, what would we do without the www.
(Less sitting at this thing and getting on with the car) Laughing Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

I did wonder if your front axle might be from Standard but whilst there are Standard models with cruciform structure they differ from your's in that the front chassis legs are formed by four members that merge with the front cruciform members rather than the two as in your case. I think the Standard
that you found the link to has a simple ladder chassis and doesn't have the rear springs mounted like the Austin 7 and your's. I think the Austin 12 suggestion is probably the most likely that you've had.

The later SS2 models do have a cruciform but it doesn't look like your's and has conventional under-slung leaf springs at the rear. It has the four member structure like the Standard at the front. Again different from your's.

Peter
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

Thanks again

Thing is a lot of the chassis has been chopped or modified making it even more of an ID problem Evil or Very Mad

Some modifications are more obvious than others.
Like the chopped rear of the chassis, and the rear springs
The rear springs look as thought they were a normal leaf spring chopped in half
The centre hole is evident as a half moon part of the hole.

I mentioned the gentleman who is clasiic restorer by trade.
Well he lives on route to were I will be getting the chassis powder coated, who also uses the same sprayer in Raydon.
I will be popping in to see him while I have the chassis on the roof of my daily car, will also take the axle with me.

If he can't ID them he should have the trackrod ends to fit, I hope.

Well at least it won't stop my rebuilding the car.

have emailed the standard car club, just witing for a reply.

I have posted a lot of photos, ready to transfer to the site, in my photobucket.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n101/Hatchy-62/DLM%201/?start=40

More to follow daily
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

I forwarded this to my friend Ed Nantes the SS Jaguar expert and here's his reply

" In some ways it has a resemblence to a 1937 SS 1 1/2 litre chassis I had.

Esp being underslung at the rear. I'm not sure whether Standards were underslung , Certainly not all and the chassis supplied to SS weren't the same as Standard used

However
There are inconsistencies.

The steering arms.. how would you get a wheel on?
The front axles looks very like an SS apart from the arms.. which could be from something else , or fiddled with and on the wrong side of the car.
Also SS chassis were boxed but with oblong holes, not the zig zag reinforcing shown at the back.

But they certainly had the diagonal X member

But never had quarter eliptic rear springs

The SS 1 1/2 had inboard rear springs with the front mounted on a tube across the chassis. There is a round hole showing on the inside of the chassis where this may have been cutout.

So it may have some parts from an SS... or not. Certainl radically altered if so."

Art
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a look at the 1935 Standard 9 two door photos, the front end and axle I would say are the same,

Were there are mountings and parts on the S9 there are holes in the frame, at the area of the steering box steering box something has been chopped
also there is a flange/bush mount, possible for a drop arm from the steering box, and a short distance back is anotherflange/bush hole.

On my frame the second cross frame from the front is definite addition, it is a bit crudely cut and is bolt on.

The rear end - about 4-6 inches from the back on mine the chassis starts to rise, and has obviously been chopped.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: