classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Truman's JB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whooaaa!! looking lovely, what a great van its going to be!

UJ is probably the one to reply to your questions about paint prep, my E83W van is in a similar position ref the interior paintwork, but as yet I dont know if that'll be sticking around in my collection or not...

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past couple of months, I've been collating info based on the experience of others. From that info, I can SUGGEST the correct way to go.

There is one problem though. I'm not 100% certain that Tekaloid will be compatible. That is something that you will have to check out yourself. I would appreciate the feedback if you do.

Check out the topic that I posted regarding Rust Preventatives, then I'll ask a few questions, and give you a blow by blow account! Beware, it will be detailed!
Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe I'll do that tonight... a friend of mine used tekaloid on his a few years back... seems to be ok.

Here's a picture (we all like them don't we!)

Mike

Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon All,

Well I've popped the roof off today, and the results have been good. Obviously, there's a little rust in the corners, which I shall remove and re-treat, and prep the roof panel in the meantime, but one question chaps...

Is there a tape-like compound now to use instead of the mastic that appears to have been used previously? I can't find any info on it..

Also, I've been rubbing down the interior, and primed the rubbed-down surfaces. Results seem favourable, undercoating next. The 'Cream' Tekaloid I bought though looks distinctly yellow.... does anyone know if this is normal?

Any comments/suggestions welcome...

Mike

admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Truman's

Looking nice!! how does the roof panel come out? just curious

as for the paint, does it change shade when you stir it? or stay the same before and after a good churning over with a blunt screwdriver?? Very Happy

Rick
Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Rick,

It came off after removing around 3 dozen bolts and a gentle easing off with a blunt chisel.... the same blunt chisel in fact I stirred the paint with!

Pictured is the front offside roof corner, minus roof panel.

Mike

Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the paint appears yellow because applied in any small enclosed space, i.e. the van interior, the paint bounces reflected light back on itself and thus intensifies the hue.

I once used a paint that appeared a very subtle light ochre that appeared almost tangerine when applied in an enclosed space due to light relection and the intensified perception of colour.
Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Old, it just seems REALLY yellow... if you look at the picture of the van in the garage, the lower half of the panel is a good representation of what it should be, and the colour in the tin seems to be like 'sung' yellow - remember the interior of a Routemaster bus - that's it!

Mike
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Truman's, much to report on the J front? looking forward to seeing the latest resto pics Cool Very Happy

Rick
Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All...

Well here we are... currently undercoating, having rubbed the inside right back. On advice from Mr. Hull, having treated, primed, then neat undercoated, I am now mixing undercoat and Tekaloid 50/50, and coating up...

Any comments?

Mike

Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, Mike

Very Happy
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, yeah looks lovely - could you elaborate on what Mr Hull advised to do with the prep and painting?? one day I'll have an identical job to do on my Ford van

cheers, Rick
Truman\'s

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning All,

I mailed SH to ask some advice. I'd been recommended to use Dulux Metal Primer, then undercoat. Having read SH's website, it worried me when or not the Dulux and Tekaloid were compatible. I called Dulux and they replied that the paints I used WERE alkyd based, and therefore I could use them with the coach paint.

He then advised that after rubbing back (with 240,320,400 grit), to mix the undercoat and Tekaloid 50/50 to get the metal surface nearer to the finish colour. The pictures you see are one coat. I have a few runs I need to sort out (any advice welcome), then I shall do another coat.

Apart from the runs, I'm extremely pleased with it.....

When this is done I'll thin the Tekaloid down for top-coating.

Hope this helps you,

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: