classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1935 Ford Y wheel bearing grease
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
oilyrag2

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: 1935 Ford Y wheel bearing grease Reply with quote

Hi All
I am a new member so please be gentle . I have a 1935 ford y under restoration . I am currently rebuilding the front axle and i am wondering about wheel bearing grease . these cars did not have an oil seal but a metal grease retainer ring . My question is what grade of grease is best used ? I am not sure that the modern wheel bearing grease will be retained correctly . I am also looking for the kingpin replacement or overhaul procedures . Can any one help ?
1945 BSA M20
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: wheell bearing grease Reply with quote

Hi, I always use castrol high melting point grease for wheel bearings it has LM on the tin. I use this on my 1932 BSA three wheeler and have never had problems.

I have replaced king pins on a Ford upright years ago but my memory is hazy so I will let others advise.

regards Kels.
Castellated nut

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Ford have a felt seal in the retainer-ring? Sometimes it's possible to find a modern lip seal that will fit in place of the original item - the owners' club would know. Most modern greases seem to suffer from oil separation, which is OK with 'proper' oil-seals, but is a problem with old felt seals and the like. I haven't used Castrol LM for about 30 years, and it may have improved, but I used to find it the worst of the lot in this respect.

I currently use Morris's Multi-Purpose lithium grease which seems good as far as separation goes, but you might have trouble finding it in NZ! I have an old tin of Penrite High Melting Point grease which doesn't seem to have separated, and I seem to remember Penrite is Aussie-based so you might be able to try that.

If all else fails, 'Brake and Clutch Cleaner' (in 5 litre cans) seems quite effective even on quite badly oiled brake-linings!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: