classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoring my 1967 Thomson Glenalmond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing a grand job Mick, like others i am keeping an eye on it and although not commenting much I am certainly learning a lot.
Where the cushion plan formats I sent any good (make sense).
sorted out the pictures you sent and added them all to the site with a link to here for others to follow your progress and hopefully chip in with some tips.

I don't think you could bore any of us caravan fanatics with this refurb, keep up the great work.

Hope the snow is not as bad for you as it is here! )-; Afraid I am once again housebound due to snow. Roll on the spring!

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Gas box removal was a mixed thing, looked better for it going but exposed a bodged bent kinked and awful extended A frame! I will be replacing the whole thing from a scrap Chassis I had (it was for the Safari as its rotten on that but can get another) It wasnt long enough for the box so has been cut, extended and channel welded in...badly. All the angles have changed and lumps of wood used to pack it out to fit! Shocked

I had to have a new A-frame fitted to my 81 Glennevis, engineer who didit used box steel rather than the open channels which means that there will beno water penetration down the channel. He removed the old a-frame completly and the finished job was superb. He even went as far as checking all the rest of the chassis and gave it the all clear. If I can find the pics of the finished job before putting the box back on I will e-mail them to you.

Snow in front garden now over 24inches deep at its shallowest point and its still snowing! Shocked Thinking of getting a Snowcat for Christmas! Laughing

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows things going with the restoration or are you still working on the Disco? Wink

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had chance to anything this week been busy at work, good news is the heating up there is back on so its warm again. I doubt I will be doing anything else this year as we have finished for Christmas now Laughing

I will get back onto it in the new year and all being well get the wood for the walls and of course more photos Very Happy

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the heating is back on Mick, hopeyou and the family have a great Christmas and New year!

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham, Merry Christmas to you too and everyone else who reads this Very Happy

First week of January should see the work continue, I will have got the Discovery MOT's by then and dont have any other pressing jobs planned (other than a Pug 405 to get repaired!)

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick. How's the caravan coming along ?
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest its exactly the same as I left it, I need to get back into woking on it but its been so busy at work since the new year I havent had time to do anything with anything, 2 weeks back at work only had 2 full lunch breaks!

I promise I will get on with it soon Laughing I have been to look at it a few times but not done any work....

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress at last, quite severe progress too! Decided it was time to take the side off and I was always worried about it going out of shape while being repaired in situ. I braced the roof to support it, (wasnt actually attached anyway) and removed the interior cupboards and unscrewed the wardrobe, it all went a bit loose at this point!

The best way in my opinion now is to rivet the outer skin together exactly as it came off giving me an accurate template to work to. I have plenty of photos of the frame and the inside of the outer sheeting has marks to show where it used to be. Strange how small it looks on its side!

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those last two pics - it looks like your caravan has been murdered!
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Jane, Suffolk. UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: very interesting Reply with quote

HI,
Great pics of the restoration, thank you.
Feel better about the repairs we are doing to my Cheltenham now.
Looking forward to updates.
Jane
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane, Just commented on your post sounds like you are in a similar position to me... Shocked Hope to get some more work done at a steady pace now. One reason is so far my Boss knows its in there to dry (november) but hasnt been in there to see it yet Laughing need to make it a bit more solid just incase he finds it and wants it moving.

Once this side is done I will do the same to the other side, its not as bad but no doubt I will be replacing most of it just for peace of mind, I dont intend seeing the insides again Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:

Lol Uncle Alec, must get a call into Taggart! 'Theres been a murder!!!'

Mike, great pics, really show the way the van was built and worth all the effort you are putting in, a great insight for others who wish to do the full rebuild of a van!

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bit of an issue at work with this, although its been there a while its not been a problem as we dont use the workshop its in much. The blokes who came to service the ramp couldnt do it as the caravan was on it (still would have lifted it but never mind) and they complained to the building manager who came down on me and gave me grief... it was thrown right back at him by my boss when he was reminded it wasnt his workshop, he shouldnt have been in there without one of us and anyway how have you got a key!!??

Needless to say I had to move it off the ramp but its still in the same building and I have the ok from my boss to keep it there as long as he sees some progress with it Laughing

Next couple of weeks I hope to get it started again, got a Volvo to MOT and sell then sort the BMW I bought for the wife.. never ending list of jobs I keep giving myself!!! Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: