classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1936 Morris 8, my first restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob T wrote:
I can't beleive it !!!
My Morris 8 passed the MOT today

well done Very Happy and congratulations for a job well done.

Apart from starting up, a new built engine for the first time, the MOT is one of the better days, in the resto process Cool

Back in 2008, when I took my car for MOT, did I notice the speedo didnt work Question (I found the car 8 years earlier,
with a blown engine) it turned out that it was the speedo itself ----- it was rusted solid Shocked never seen that before Confused
Bob T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
welcome to Spring !!!
Time flies, I just took my Morris 8 for its second MOT (since restoration) this morning and it passed with flying colours. In fact I did not even have to do anything to it by way of preparartion either.
So all in all feeling very pleased with myself.

In fact I may press on with the recently purchased Series 2. I have the engine running on that one and it sounds really sweet. I will try to get some pics done this weekend.
British heritage cars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob T wrote:
Hi,
welcome to Spring !!!
Time flies, I just took my Morris 8 for its second MOT (since restoration) this morning and it passed with flying colours. In fact I did not even have to do anything to it by way of preparartion either.
So all in all feeling very pleased with myself.

In fact I may press on with the recently purchased Series 2. I have the engine running on that one and it sounds really sweet. I will try to get some pics done this weekend.

Great news!
You can be very very pleased and proud with yourself!
You did a very need job!

I watched this tread with big eyes! Shocked
Bob T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
I thought it was about time to do an update.
I changed my engine earlier this year for one that had allegedly been rebuilt, I had no end of problems and wish I had retained the original. I have now rebuilt the rebuilt engine and all is well. After a few teething problems like sticking valves and replacing the carb with a recon unit it now runs really weel.
The Morris Register has its annual bash in north Nottinghamshire at at Thoresby Hall. It is 160 miles from where I live, but I was keen to get my 8 there under her own steam. I had been trying to get some miles on the clock as the engine needed running in.
I left home at 7am Sat morning (11th Aug 2012) and arrived 6 hours later.
I have added 3 pics, there were about 15 Morris 8 saloons of my type there.

I drove home on Sunday in 4hrs 30 mins stopping twice on the way. By now my confidence in the car had grown and I spent quite a long while cruising along at 50mph. Having recently fitted a rcon carb my petrol consumtion has gone up from 28 mpg to 40 plus mpg.

So after a trouble free 320 mile round trip I feel like all the hard work has been worhtwhile and have been spurred on to finish off the last bits of the restoration.

Regards to you all and enjoy what is left of the summer.
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read back my last post, sorry for all the spelling mistakes, I obviously need a new keyboard or new glasses !
Bob T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
I have just been scanning the website and noticed that I had not posted anything since August last year. To be fair the car has not been on the road since last October and I am looking forward to an improvement in the weather so I can get out.
I have done a few little jobs over the winter such as replacing the window runners etc. Last week I went in to the garage to turn the engine over and give the car a quick check. I opened the door to see a load of shreded paper in the footwell !!!!
I lifted the bonnet and it was obvious that I had had a visitor who had made a nest in the toolbox. I set a trap baited with choclate paste and an hour later the culprit was caught. !! I reset the trap thinking that there must be moree than one, but no other mice have been caught.

It is strange that before the restoration the car had stood for 40 years in garages and barns and yet there no signs of infestation when I restored it, maybe I have made it too comfortable !!

Spring is not too far off now.

Bob T.
Bob T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a new project, the Rochdale GT as featured in Case No 11 in Crumbling Classics.
I will start a new thread elsewhere on the site, but if there is anyone reading who has one, has had one or knows anything about them please get in touch.
Bob
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bob hav found your thread very interesting, was just wondering if you had restored the rear blind in your car?? i havnt found any picturs of it...
Matt.
Bob T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
yes I did restore the rear blind. It was all there I just needed to replace the material. I may have some pics somewhere, what is it that you want pics of in particular?
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Spring may finally be arriving. I have had my Morris 8 out for a couple of runs over the last week. It seems to be going really well after its winter rest !
I had to evict a mouse that had decided to nest in my toolbox in the engine compartment !! No damage done though (except to the mouse).
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of an update.
The 8 is going well and I decided to get the MOT renewed this week. I booked in to the local garage and it passed with flying colours. I realise that a 1936 car does not legally require an MOT, but I feel happier having it checked thoroughly by someone who knows what they are doing, and it is a good opportunity to have a good look under the car too !
I had done 1200 miles since the MOT last year, not much but it keeps it ticking over.
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist the opportunity, I now have a 2 seater in the garage to compliment the saloon !

I have started a new thread for the 2 seater and will update you with my progress. This one is more of a rolling restoration, it is driveable but still lots to do.
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I realise that this forum is not for advertising but I will just mention that I aquired a lot of spares with the 2 seater. If anyone is looking for anything ppm me and I will happily send you a list of what I have. I wouls also be interested in a deal on some headlights and sidelights for my new car.
Bob
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob T wrote:
By the way, I realise that this forum is not for advertising but I will just mention that I aquired a lot of spares with the 2 seater. If anyone is looking for anything ppm me and I will happily send you a list of what I have. I wouls also be interested in a deal on some headlights and sidelights for my new car.
Bob

I can probably help you out with the siidlights , possibly the headlamps shells without glass.

Dave
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave,
I have sent you a ppm, although sometimes it does not seem to work. If you don't get the ppm can you contact me on bobtaylor11@hotmail.com. using your email if that is ok, I don't want to clog up the forum with private messages.
Cheers
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: