classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wheels - powder coating?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Wheels - powder coating? Reply with quote

Ok, got the old tyres off my Austin 10s wheels (with help from BB) this afternoon, using several tyre levers and a big hammer to free the bead.

Hope to get them blasted - and .. powder coated - is pc any good? I've heard it shows all defects on the surface of the metal, which may be an issue with blasted spoke wheels. How resilient is it when fitting new tyres on to them - I'd hate to chip them badly when fitting new rubber Crying or Very sad

Enamelling is another option, but that sounds pricey!!!!

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own personal opinion is that I prefer PC to enamel. I´ve used it on motorbike frames, and never had any problems there.

I´m out on thin ice here, but I did read on another forum that there are DIY PC kits available in the US. I wonder if they are any good? Cant see how they can be economical though!
iceman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about using xylan silver??

A company that we deal with does xylan and kephos and the finish is excellent.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience, Xylan (a ptfe based coating) is better suited to moving parts to reduce friction.

Kephos (a phosphate) could be used on wheels, but the trouble is its so expensive compared to PC, or at least, it used to be!
iceman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
In my limited experience, Xylan (a ptfe based coating) is better suited to moving parts to reduce friction.

Kephos (a phosphate) could be used on wheels, but the trouble is its so expensive compared to PC, or at least, it used to be!

I can give anyone a number for Sandwell (the company we deal with) who do those coatings.

Very proffesional people.
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels - powder coating? Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Ok, got the old tyres off my Austin 10s wheels (with help from BB) this afternoon, using several tyre levers and a big hammer to free the bead.

Hope to get them blasted - and .. powder coated - is pc any good? I've heard it shows all defects on the surface of the metal, which may be an issue with blasted spoke wheels. How resilient is it when fitting new tyres on to them - I'd hate to chip them badly when fitting new rubber Crying or Very sad

Rick

I'll photo my mini wheels when I get back in this afty.
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels - powder coating? Reply with quote

chimpchoker wrote:
admin wrote:

Rick

I'll photo my mini wheels when I get back in this afty.

Sorry it's taken so long but here is my mini wheels that have been powder coated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: