classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Some sort of glue used in bodywork
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
rcx822

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Some sort of glue used in bodywork Reply with quote

This is an early nineties Suzuki. There is some sort of soft glue that is used to hold body panels together. It both glues them and also is soft so I guess it acts as some sort of soft mount.

It's also used under the bonnet, holding the bonnet sheet to the reinforcing metal under the bonnet.

So before I go ahead and try using No More Nails from B&Q, can anyone say what this glue is? You can see here that a backet holding the roof stiff was using the glue and it's all fallen apart.

D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi Structural Car Body Sealer, like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Body-Panel-Joint-Seam-PU-Sealer-FLP-WHITE-/270316807808?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ef0232680
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of some stuff that ukdave2002 used on his Morris van a while back (thread about it somewhere here).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that a glued joint on a 90's car has failed. The Triumph Acclaim (and thus also the Honda Ballade, and probably many others) of the early 80's used a fair number of glued joints, and despite extensive experience I've never seen one of those fail yet. Obviously Suzuki in the 90's were using something cheaper...
rcx822

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I'm surprised that a glued joint on a 90's car has failed. The Triumph Acclaim (and thus also the Honda Ballade, and probably many others) of the early 80's used a fair number of glued joints, and despite extensive experience I've never seen one of those fail yet. Obviously Suzuki in the 90's were using something cheaper...

Also the actual bracket is so weak that any weight on the roof at all bends it causing the ceiling felt to sag. I suspect that it only has any strength if glued to the roof, together creating something structural. I was going to make a custom bracket before I realised this might be the case and the glue might solve the issue of the flimsy bracket.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3M produce a range of body adhesives, some of which can be used instead of spot welds on body panels Shocked be worth a browse on their website.

Dave
rcx822

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
3M produce a range of body adhesives, some of which can be used instead of spot welds on body panels Shocked be worth a browse on their website.

Dave

That sounds top quality but I've already ordered the previously recommended stuff. No matter. I'm sure I'll need more as this car will be getting overhauled this winter.
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcx822 wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

That sounds top quality but I've already ordered the previously recommended stuff. No matter. I'm sure I'll need more as this car will be getting overhauled this winter.

I have used that Fina systems one a couple of times, it's very good, you should have no probs Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: