classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is there an easy way to remove body filler?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Is there an easy way to remove body filler? Reply with quote

I have a lot to remove, and it seems to send my scraper blunt quite quickly.

Cheers
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a twist knot wire brush on a grinder, the only thing to watch for is they can score the good metal too if you're not careful. What kind of filler blunts a scraper? Shocked
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier way than that. Carefully warm it up with either a blow torch or hot air gun in one hand, and take it off with the scraper that you have in the other.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can get twisted nylon discs that go on a grinder, they will remove filler and paint, but not souch sound metal.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with using a grinder is that they make too much dust, and are too slow as well.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Dust I agree with, but outside with a mask on a windy day! hehe

I have allways found using a grinder much faster than a scraper, but there we go, maybe I just press on more than you! I supose it depends on where the filler is, on intricate parts a scraper would be used, but a flat pannel a grinder is definateley the prefered tool for me!

By the way, I never told you to grind filler on a windy day, if your neighbours are getting angry with you!!

Laughing

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow buzzy, I doubt that! Laughing
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas guys. Yes I think anything that creates dust is not so good for me. When I posted I was thinking more along the lines of a chemical that would make it go soft. Kind of like wax or something.

I was using an old file thats now a scraper. You would think that it would be hard enough to keep an edge on the seemingly soft filler. Its modern stuff applied incorrectly by the previous owner, and only about a year old, but the scraper losses its edge quickly. However Ive had some luck. On the side pannels where theres acres of it, Ive found that a large portion is not even adhering to the metal. Changing my scraper to a blade type that tends to get between the filler and the metal, the stuff is comming off in chunks and small sheets.

I will try the heating method on the more difficult spots where the scraper cant manage.

Cheers,
Mike
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the heating all over, it goes fast if you can master working with two hands. That impresses friends as well! For scrapers, try using cheap wood chisels with rounded corners.
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the heating method works really well, but I cant use it because I dont want to risk damaging the new paint on the other side of the metal.
Im getting through it OK. Its only sticks in small areas, the rest virtually falls off.
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some paint strippers will lift some brands of putty, but almost all of it will come off with the wire brush like others have mentioned. tt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: