classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Convince Me
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
kaybee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Gilberry, it's more than 30 years since I did my last BW35 overhaul, so I'm relying on memory a bit, but I'm guessing they found the back of the front pump was blank where the cooler takeoff pipe would be, no machined recess in the case for the pipe and obviously no pipe to the side of the case and no dimples in the pan to retain the pipe, pump gears smaller then later versions, and differences in the valve body and governor and also in the line pressure valve in the back of the front pump.
How close did I get? Smile , regards, Col.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee, I'm guessing that you are quiteaccurate, but you forgot the clutch plates - but maybe these were standard in Aus-market boxes?

UJ
kaybee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uncle Joe, I didn't forget the clutch packs, but it's likely the stock early trans would have a similar number of plates to the later trans for the same size engine, due to torque ratings being much the same. The later model 35's we used here in Chryslers and Ford's still had 4&5 plate clutches in them, some of them had a wider front band and bigger servo's, but the basic setup was the same in most of the trans . Ford even ran the 35 behind the 289 Windsor V8 when it was first introduced in the local Falcon for '67, but that wasn't too successful (optimistic in the extreme Shocked ) and they changed back to the C4 trans part way through production. All things considered, they did a pretty decent job for a trans that was designed for small cars, and is the reason I suggested to Gilberry that he serviced and ran the trans as is. Worst thing that could happen is the trans might get hot ,depending on how it's treated,and that can be dealt with easily by more frequent fluid changes. Given the climate and the likeliehood that the caravan trips are not going to be 2-3,000 Kilometer adventures , I doubt the trans would have been a problem,ever. It's easy to forget that most factory cooler systems run the fluid through the lower tank in the radiator and then back into the trans,and if you reckon that water is cold, stick your finger in it and let me know Laughing Cheers, Col
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now do you really think that would be a good idea - two women together pulling two men apart!!! your life would not be worth living after we had compaired notes
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaybee, you've aroused my interest now regarding the clutch packs! Its a long time since i did anything with a BW35, but I do remember doing a number of 'upgrades' to them. One of these always included changing from 3 to 5 plates, ie to early Range Rover spec.

Is my memory really playing tricks on me?

In a lot of ways, I do agree with what you said, just drive the car and keep an eye on the oil. It will soon show any problems! I still think though that I would have done a total upgrade to the latest spec. that BW had, due to horrendous the english traffic! They were good boxes though. Still prefer C6's or A727's though!

UJ
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altough some of you felt there was no need for an oil cooler we had one fitted anyway which as it turned out was a goo job as when they took the gearbox off the friction plate was disintergrating and there was a couple of other faults . So we went ahead with a rebuild and now have a completely different car , something we would not have known about without the rebuild . And yes the holes for the oil cooler were none existent .
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, always nice to head out onto the road knowing that things have been re-con'd properly, it'd have been a nightmare breaking down with a duff box at the side of the road, with caravan on the back!

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
giggles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince Me Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
Having the mad idea of a caravan I did not think off the rest of the process - so convince me i have done the right thing?
so tell me it will all be worth it in the end Crying or Very sad

Only just joined the forum. Cool
Have you done the right thing? Of course you have, I'll remind you of this when we go to Bolsover in the summer. Wink
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that depends if simon gets the tow bar off the other Sceptre and fits it to mine in time Wink caravan goes in for a service end of April (earliest we could get it booked in) then the fun Rolling Eyes begins two people two dogs in a 30+ year old 11ft caravan with a 40 year old car
iain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the right thing? Oh yes. We got given a 1960 carcruiser last year. Towed it home behind our 182 Granada, which didnt look at all right. Granada has now moved on and our tow car is either a Morris Minor - too small, or the Land Rover, which looks a little too much like a gypsy outfit for my liking. So we're on the lookout for a towcar now. Fancy a Morris Isis myself, but haven't seen one for ages. No regrets though, and we've not been to the first show yet. Still faffing with the caravan! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: