classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lorry Windcreen Surrounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Paul Brook

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Lorry Windcreen Surrounds Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone out there has experience of rebuilding the 1940s style lorry windscreens as fitted to the K series Austins, Bedfords (and Dodges in my case!) etc?

A look around at a recent rally suggested that many restorers had opted for fixed screens in rubber surrounds, rather than the original opening windows with a metal H section surround and rubber lip seal (which as far as I can see was designed to collect moisture and rot - hence the question!) but I would like to try, if possible, to recreate the original design.

Any hints and tips anyone?
rustyreks

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: austin windscreen Reply with quote

This may or maynot be useful but i have heard with for example the prefect windscreen was cut and braised to make a fordson screen the fordson truck ones were steel and rusted the prefect ones were brass it took 2 prefect screens to make up a fordson one as they were bigger.You would need to check whether the austin screens have the same shape for the windscreen rubber as the austin truck anything is possible.Also the reason why the windscreens on the fordson rusted was that the drainholes were blocked not sure if bedford or austin dodge had them would pay to check.I also have a dodge 1946 2 tonne project for next year when i get my fordson assembled.I think it is worth getting the original window repaired..It looks cool when you open the window. let me know about your dodge restoration wiould be keen to hear.rustyreks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: