Article header
Parts
Homepage. This page: A 'cheesegrater' Morris van used by Jet Petroleum Limited in the 1950s.

A Series II Morris Minor van.

Les sent this photo over from his collection, it shows a signwritten Series 2 Morris Minor van of 1953 or 1954. Visible differences between this and later Morris 1000 vans include the "cheesegrater" style of radiator grille, and the split-windscreen. By now the Minor had moved on from sidevalve power, thanks to the formation of BMC, and was now blessed with the (ex-Austin) A Series unit of 803cc, shared with the A30.
Unlike the Minor saloons, the van and pickup versions had a separate chassis, with the cab and rear body being two separate units, bolted to the chassis. Unlike the A40 vans which started out with aluminium (later steel) rear bodies, the Minors always had a steel rear panels, including the central roof section which on light commercials of this time was often a vinyl affair. The commercial variants were initially rated at 5cwt (quarter ton), and later re-designated as 6cwt (1098cc models), with an 8cwt version offered from 1968 onwards.
Side view of the Morris Minor van

Jet Petroleum.

The van shown here was owned by Jet Petroleum, one of many smaller fuel suppliers of the postwar years that sprung up following de-regulation of the fuel supply industry. Jet Petroleum came into being in 1954, set up by John Willy 'Bill' Roberts, who had a background in the chemical industry, having worked for Trent Oil Products prior to WW2. The Jet approach was to supply fuel at lower prices to smaller, independent petrol stations, thus taking the fight to the 'big boys' in the fuel industry. With many still feeling the pinch after the war, motorists took to these affordable fuels, just as many people hunt down cheaper fuels on offer at the supermarkets today. In 1961 Jet was bought by Conoco, although the name continues to this day.
The Jet name was chosen by Bill due to his first tanker being registered JET 855, a Rotherham-area number. Happily this tanker survives and has been restored back to fitness. The logo used in the early days was based on the silhouette of a 1950's jet fighter, it's delta wing profile reminiscent of the Gloster Javelin and the larger Avro Vulcan. Thanks again to Les for the photo.
Return to Old Car Photos Page No. 9.

Old Classic Car homepage

Custom Search
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk (C) R. Jones. Content not to be reproduced elsewhere.
Website by ableweb.
Privacy Policy, Cookies & Disclaimers