classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

islands in the seam???bodywork advice help!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
bezford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: islands in the seam???bodywork advice help!! Reply with quote

Hi guys..new to site now my peugeot 206gti137 2002 custom on 73000 miles has shown its teue colours after buying 18months ago..The drivers rear quarter has apparently had a really poor repair and is now a rust bucket on that corner with the rest of the car being really nice in its silver/grey paintwork.
Now i do have quite a lot of experience with motors and some with bodywork but um repairing this car right and i want ro make a goid job and have it last for a few years at least and this is whete the problem kicks in..

I would love some advice from a real bodywork guy to get a great finish that will last and not just flake or get the island/contours where its been filled...Also i am certain ive read that to get the best from bodge/bodyfiller that the filler must be applued over metal and not over paint??or is over undercoat or primer ok?
Im hoping that over primer is ok because ive had a lot of rust that ive sanded and ground off that im intending to give a coat or two of halfords anti rust primer before i put some bodge over it and sand etc. Then paint it and laquer it as with most of this rear quarter panel...
Guys i must tell you that im hoping to paint the car outside in the sun using the rattle cans and if you do have any advice that will make thus job better then please add them on...
Also as soon as i get a memory card for my fine i will pist some before and after pics just to show what these rattle cans can do as i know i can gwt goid results as ive already painted my mums vitara and in the same way it came iut really good but if id boyght more paint(an extra can of colour and of laquer)then the job woyld have had more depth and shine but its fine and not noticed until your told anyway.

Thankyou fir any hints/tips as they are more than welcome....
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Very Happy

The islands you describe ,can occur when filler is applied over paint; it looks fine at first, but then "sinks" into the paint and becomes visible.

The only thing you can do, is sand out all the filler, then pull the dent out so that its as close as possible to bing true, treat the bare metal with phosphoric acid , fill , flatted prime and paint in the same day. You can do a good job with rattle cans these days.

When you flatten, always use a block otherwise you will get finger grooves! Use a guide coat or powder to check the repair is flat before you paint.

Dave
bezford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: islands aint a paradise...cont.. Reply with quote

So anyone whos reading...
Taking into account our British climate..how long should a good body repair thats been derusted ground out..anti rust primed sanded filled..sanded..undercoated..colour coated several times then colour sanded and laquered and cut in and polished really last???thanks guys..
Desert Fox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years!!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you never take it out in the wet or leave it in damp garage
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: