classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vehicular lack of knowledge
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about misinformation. The trouble is, even if you try, its always impossible to persuade them that they are wrong.

The trouble is, sometimes this info gets turned into facts that everyone believes....

UJ
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
A good case I heard of a while ago. A guy in England was selling his 1965 Lincoln convertible, 'the actual one that JFK was shot in' ....

UJ

Laughing I can imagine him telling people 'I've got 2,one in white,and I'll be getting more in next week'!....all Genuine/actual car of course Confused Laughing Laughing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, welcome to the forum!! Smile

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rick,lots of interesting subjects to read about,Like the Joke section, Laughing
All the best Greg
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the subject, there is another thing that is beginning to bother me. Today I was told that the car I drove to the parts store in didnt exist because its registration number didnt come up on their computer! So they couldnt supply me with any parts, very strange!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is simmilar to insurance people, I try to get quotes for classics, and they say if you are under 25 you don't own a classic, well I can tell them I do, as I am tring to insure the thing! Just because there is no box to tick on the computer, they think it can't happen! This insurance problem for classics must put alot of younger enthusiasts off, I don't see what the problem is in insuring a 10hp vehicle that isn't worth a great deal, but a 17 year old can insure a brand new car worth over 10k, no problem!! This gets me real mad!!

The other thing me and a friend were discussing the other day, was that veteran stuff, which he collects and has many, still has t be mot'd, he was saying that when he takes them for an mot, they just stand staring, scratching there heads, and ask how to start it and where the steering wheel is, as it has a tiller! Also can you imagine a pre 1900 car on a rolling road!

OOO I do get wound up!! Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there was the story of my 300's Power Steering Pump.

Because the car is from 65, and the engine from 75, I'm not quite sure which steering pump is fitted. Being me, I identified it as a TRW / Thompson style Federal 1.06 for a Mopar big block. Try asking an idiot for that.....!!!! Laughing Apparently, it doesnt exist..... Shocked

Thank heavens I've got a good contact in the US, one that makes this hobby so good!

UJ
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years ago the wheel fell off my 10/4 when the hub cracked and broke. It happened on a bend on a busy road out of Canterbury.
I phoned the RAC and told them my 1932 Austin had cast a wheel and they would have to take that into consideration when recovering it. The girl on the other end wanted to know if it was an automatic? ' it's a 1932 Austin 10' I replied, 'yes,' she said 'but is it an automatic?' I assured her again that it wasn't but got the impression that she didn't really believe me.
To be on the safe side I again pointed out that it had lost a wheel.

One hour later the breakdown truck arrived; 'you've lost a wheel' the driver cried, 'they should have told me that I haven't any dollys on this truck so you'll have to wait for one that has'. One hour and fifteen minutes later a truck arrived with suitable equipment to load up my car.
I had almost lost the will to live by then but it occurred to me that the girl who had taken the message was asking questions from a list that didn't cater for this particular set of circumstances. But they really should employ people with a slight modicum of intelligence.
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well; you chaps invented the stiff upper lip! really, i don't think i'd have had the reserve to keep my mouth shut in that case. i have motor club coverage also and i have a great working relationship with the local crew. they've brought my babies home more than once each....well worth the cover charge IMHO. when the driver pulls up, rolls down his window and says "oh, YOU again" .........priceless. off topic; i took the galaxie on a kamikaze tour this AM for "trials"; wallows a bit but loads of get-go. needs new shockers up front and a real set of exhausts.
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
I identified it as a TRW / Thompson style Federal 1.06 for a Mopar big block. Try asking an idiot for that.....!!!! Laughing Apparently, it doesnt exist..... Shocked

I have AA Recovery for the sole reason of the Chevy - anyway, the telephone goes one evening and it turns out to be a gent from an off-shore call centre wanting to sell me AA car insurance.

Ok, I think, let's see what the AA come up with for the Chevy -

Call Centre: "What kind of car do you have please?"

Me: "1957 Chevrolet 210 4-door Sedan."

Call Centre: "Could you repeat that please?"

Me: "1957 Chevrolet 210 4-door Sedan."

Call Centre: (Sound of computer keys working away - pause - more computer keys - pause - muffled conversation - pause - computer keys again ........... "I'm sorry sir, that car does not exist" - click beeeeeeeeeeee.

What can I say! Rolling Eyes
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovery services, on the whole, are reasonably efficient and reliable for recovering vehicles, but my classic insurance covers me for recovery from both UK and Europe and three years warranty covers me for the same on my modern.
It is easy to forget that you do not need to still pay for recovery service membership while this applies, and if you ask them for foreign travel cover they will happily sell it to you for around the cost of your years classic insurance. It was only a few months ago that I realized that I had had double breakdown cover for years.

But when you come down to it; the AA and RAC no longer seem to be "Motorists organizations" who's original aim was to represent the motorist against
injustice from government and the law; they seem to have become just 'marketing companies' that do a bit of vehicle recovery on the side and although they often display a 'talking head' when some new law or oppression is suggested it is only a 'toothless' token from people who should be representing the most powerful political lobby in the land.

Time we got ourselves organized!!!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have been in three different car parts stores. Again i have been told that they they cant supply me with what I wanted without the registration number! Evil or Very Mad

What did I want to purchase.....wheel bearing grease! Crying or Very sad The mind boggles!

Can it get much worse?

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: