classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Topcoating after primer, maximum time window
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Topcoating after primer, maximum time window Reply with quote

The instructions on UPOL High Build cellulose primer indicate that it should be overcoated within 5 hours from spraying. For me that's impossible as it I need several weeks to get round to prepping it all.
Would the time limit refer to the danger of moisture absorption through to the steel beneath? If so would the fact that I have epoxied the whole shell mean I am Ok.?
Or does it "skin" over after sanding?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the risk is that the primer will absorb moisture, and when the top coat is applied this will effectively seal the moisture in. Weeks sometimes months later you will begin to notice small blisters in the paint as the moisture makes a bid for freedom, sealed in moisture has ruined many a paint job Sad

As the paint manufacturers have no idea what type of conditions the primed panels will be stored in, they tend to be very conservative with the maximum recommended time, in good dry conditions you will get away with longer, but it's impossible to put an accurate figure on.

Why not just stick with epoxy primer?

Cheers

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same problem. As far as I can tell cellulose primer will stick to epoxy but top coat won't. I can't see any way of top coating within 5 hours, more like 5 weeks. I was going to ignore the advice as it would be unworkable for me anyway.
I'm still at the stage of arranging into a single garage the contents of a double garage and a large garden shed so I can progress the car at all. And do work on the horrific state of the decorations in the new house and garden which is a higher priority. My goal is to get the car painted this summer.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a very similar situation to you Peter Sad
I needed to prime because I did the filling and flattng after the epoxy..because you can. Epoxy has no real "body" to it so no good for hiding small imperfections.
I think you covered the answer Dave.
Thanks.
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the simple answer is just to accept the advice given and use epoxy primer, rather than cellulose primer. You can leave it six months or more, as long as you keep the UV off it. Even then, you can flat back before finishing.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the bodywork of the MGA, I worked on individual panels from start to finish, so that every panel went from bare metal to gloss coat in a few days .
Not the most efficient way to work, but I was specifically trying to avoid the problems mentioned.

Cheers

Dave
aps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine has a major problem with paint blisters .one of his customers has filled and primed his beetle ready for top coat ,the problem is as soon as paint is applied the car is covered in blisters ,so now the car has to be stripped and started again from bare metal to achieve a good result .wayne aps
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy is really resilient and impervious but would be hard work used as the primer before topcoat unless you have already produced an immaculate car body. I used it to give me time to straighten everything out with filler.
Even then, it wasn't truly flat so needed the high-build which, after flatting, has given me a reasonably smooth car ready for topcoat. The first bit was sanded three weeks ago and the last bit sanded this evening.
Obviously I have over-run on the 5 hour deadline for over coating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: