classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Which silver wheel paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Which silver wheel paint? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a paint, preferably aerosol as four wheels doesn't take much, that is silver but not too bright. Preferably a paint that doesn't need lacquer.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really, but just wanted to make one comment.

If you use aerosol paint that is labelled "silver wheel paint" or something similar, my experience is that putting lacquer over it is not a good move. I understand that wheel paint is formulated to not require lacquer, and I found that my nice silver repainted wheels went to a sort of grey colour and lost all their silver-ness when I lacquered them.

I have had similar effects when I put lacquer over some "chrome effect" paint on some wheel centres.

Obviously some aerosols might mis-use the description, but I think that's what makes silver wheel paint different to silver paint.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a useful point Mike. Currently derusting so I not quite at tahat stage yet.
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience with supposedly clear lacquer discolouring newly re-silvered headlamp reflectors, which I believe is how they were treated originally to prevent them from tarnishing. Very slight discolouration remained after stripping off the lacquer. Best plan is simply to get out the Silvo when required.

Richard
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following advice, I got a silver and matching lacquer...delighted with the result.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=120804#120804
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: