classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

brush painting my 52 moggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Rustoleum Combi Color Reply with quote

I am quite a fan of this for freshening up a car. I wouldn't use it on, say, £50 grand's worth of Aston Martin, but to sort out a more lowly motor, and especially if you can't run to several grand for a pro respray, it's unbeatable. I got my Rustoleum Combi Color from Rawlins paints by mail order:

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/paints-and-coatings/metal-paints/direct-to-metal-paints/530-rust-oleum-combicolor.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAu_GmBRDhtK-kzqKcuJwBEiQAJvB8nze-xH-AjyogcBC2dVfO2QCMtWmXlFZU-KmFR9fX-p4aAtTJ8P8HAQ

Gloss Paint rollers and tray from B and Q, just buy a big bag of rollers as well as handle and tray and throw then away between coats. You can thin the paint with white spirit, it is a good deal less toxic than cellulose and you don't end up coating the garage, the dog and more importantly, the insides of your lungs.
There are quite a few films on YouTube showing techniques, etc.
If you aren't satisfied with the roller finish which gives a slight orangepeel when you get the mix right, let it harden for a couple of weeks, then you can flat it down and polish it with T Cut or similar.
You can experiment on an old panel to brush up your technique before committing to the car.
Boring Tucson SUV
trampintransit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that's a brilliant job you did on that Renault. I'll check out the link for Rustoleum paints.
Billf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a time served Decorator for over 25 years. We used to paint Vans. Trucks etc. . And yes used Valetines. And Valspar normal paint we found was really good.

When i was a kid in Carlisle all the Ribble Buses were brush painted inside and out.

I brush painted my K2. But you have to pick the areas to paint Ones with some breaks, Big areas you will have plan your way round it, trying to keep a "Wet Edge"

Don't use a brand new brush as the paint will pull the hairs out.
I found a 2/12 or 3" brush was best. a bigger brush is hard to control.
Dont use the paint too thick as it will not spread, Use the "crows nest" method spread the paint in different directions quickly then lay it off in gentle brush strokes. I did not get on too well with rollers, but the 4" Radiator rollers are not too bad.

Also always strain the paint through nylon stockings, before you use it again. Or you can buy proper paint filters. You could wet the garage floor with water, this will help keep any dust down.

The main thing is to work fast and even. And make sure before you apply the finish coat everything is ready for it. Have fun.
norustplease

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rustoleum has very good self levelling properties. I used 4" gloss rollers for the main areas and disposable foam brushes for detail areas such as gutters. I thinned it with 20% white spirit. Use thin coats to stop it sagging, it talks a while to go off initially since it is not as volatile as cellulose, being more akin to a household gloss in drying times, albeit this does vary according to temperature.
You can do it panel by panel and the moggy should lend itself well to this.
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: