classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sorting modern alloy wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Sorting modern alloy wheels Reply with quote

My daughter is changing her car, the old car goes back next week its on a PCP, so any damage beyond fair wear and tear will be charged for. To cut a long story short all 4 wheels have kerb damage! on some wheels it's all the way round!!! Rather than her pay £50 per wheel, thought I'd tackle it myself.

Now whats put me off sorting modern wheels previously, is the pain of masking wheels if the tyres are not removed, however I spotted some elasticated wheel masks in our local paint shop, that neither require tyre removal or breaking the bead, even better they were less than £2 each Smile

So here is how it went, I bought a 500ml can each of U-pol primer, wheel silver and clear coat:

This was one of the better wheels!

Flattened all the alloy damage with a wet 240g paper.
Filled the damage with ordinary filler, sanded, with 240, 400 then 800G.
Then fitted the covers, the tyre needs to be deflated, then the elasticated masks can sit behind the rim without breaking the bead.

Primed the entire wheel

Then the silver and clearcoat.
Tyre valve was masked with some plastic tubing.

Total cost for 4 wheels £22, the wheel masks are designed to be used once, but with care could be used a few times.

sorry about pic quality , all done on my phone ):

Dave
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These masks are a great find and idea! I have painted my steel TR4 wheels and as you say the most annoying thing to do is to mask the tyres. I will search for these masks online - hope they can be found.
DM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a possibility that you may have wasted your time and money.

I have recently heard of a number professional paint repairs to lease vehicles which when inspected on return of the vehicle resulted in invoices to have the work re done.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff Dave, is this the paint guy on the way into Middlewich?

I have to do a similar job on my daily, not because it's going back but because I'm fed up of how they look. I'm not doing it yet, though - it will need tyres in the New Year, so there's no point painting them before that.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen that type of tyre mask before. I had some a good few years back that were in 4 sections of pre-cut self adhesive cardboard, they worked well enough at keeping the paint off the tyres but of course on steel wheels the rust returned from the back side pretty quickly!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa brought me a set of 4 tyre masks for Christmas. My wife has managed to scuff the rear alloy wheels of the Lexus! GRRR!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

saw a U tube guy doing wheel painting . he used old pack of cards. to keep tyre paint free!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started doing mine, one at a time. I've spent more than a week just trying to remove the old coating on the first one. I think it's been powder-coated, but it was sufficiently damaged that I can't just flat it back. So off it must come. And the problem with my wheels is that while they don't look it, they have some quite intricate detailing around the spokes that is taking an age to do.

I'm not going to get a perfect job by painting the wheels with the tyres fitted, but it'll be better than it was and I don't have the time to get the tyres removed.
MrWhite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: wheels Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
saw a U tube guy doing wheel painting . he used old pack of cards. to keep tyre paint free!

I have done this, good use of all your old bank/credit cards and any other useless plastic cards people give you. Saves cutting them up and ensures when you do get rid of them they don't look anything like they did to start with and hopefully are so damaged they will never be able to be used again. I just saved mine up for a while and keep enough to do one wheel, all 4 would be a bit much to store Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: