classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

American Auto Club International Spring Nationals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: American Auto Club International Spring Nationals Reply with quote

Held at Billing Aquadrome, April 18th - 20th

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-R, amongst the strange stuff there were some quite nice motors there... Laughing This is how a 59 Impala should look though.... Laughing

Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really nice cars..................but why do some owners insist on using illegal American style plates? Confused
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American style plates are acceptable provided the vehicle is older than 1973 (I think). Wink

Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job-Rated wrote:
American style plates are acceptable provided the vehicle is older than 1973 (I think). Wink

If they can get away with it...fine, but they are illegal even on pre 73 cars. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the huge plates we have in the UK and find the U.S. plates more attractive, especially the graphic ones. I collect graphic plates. I remember the long hard battle that was fought to get 6x12 plates (and 7x13 Japanese) accepted on imported cars. Harry Tune and others worked tirelessly to get an exclusion when we were faced with having to mount UK compliant plates on our cars. I wrote dozens of letters to my MP and visited his surgery and did what ever I could to help with this battle.

What was agreed, was that on personal imported vehicles (non type approved) that had a 6x12 or 7x13 space in the bodywork that would not accept a regular European plate, you could fit a plate using the UK motorcycle sized font. However if there is sufficient space to fit a regular UK sized plate, that must be used. You can't fit a 6x12 just because the car was made in the US.

But as I say........if they can get away with it!
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I know quite a few guys that regularly drive without front plates at all.

Needless to say, fines have been paid on occasion.

Would these plate regulations be picked up by an MOT inspector?
If so, I'm wondering why my friend's '59 Mercury sailed through with 6x12s on...

Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would someone not want to have a front plate? so it does not detract from their "driving lights"?

12x6 plates are OK for MOT, it is the colour, spacing, layout and font that many of these pressed American style plates have is wrong. For example: I have seen cars with a copy of of "California Black Plate" with their UK registration number on it. Yellow letters on a black background ! The owners know they are illegal.

All the people that make the American style plates will tell you they are for show use and not legal for the road.
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super photo's as always JR.
Cool

As for the number plates, we'll let you know how we get on with our US style plates when the Fairlane goes in MOT. (What we might do is have a word with our MOT tester and see what he thinks about them. He's a top bloke. Support your small MOT station & garages is what I say)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Show News, Reports, Press Releases & Photographs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: