classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Selling stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Selling stuff Reply with quote

Hi

I went down to the garage today to have a sort out and sell some of my tools, and then chuck some so called rubish out. Well it didn't go to plan, I spent more or less half the day filling boxes with stuff to sell, then thinking actually I may need that or I want that. I ended up with a bottle of old used oil to throwaway, nothing to sell and manage to find another box of stuff to add to my collection.

Then to cap it all off, while at the local dump disposing of my oil I spotted a huge pallet box full of old tools and the like, but being in a mini and having no cash as a bribe with me I had to leave it behind! Feeling rather depressed as I type this.

Cheers

Dave
Cranki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early to bed, early to rise, then straight into the garage. I agree its impossible to 'have a clear out'.
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1973 I worked at a Buick Dealership that also sold Opels. Being the Opels used all metric fittings I bought a complete set of SK metric tools. Three months later I left that job and sold all my metric tools to one of the other mechanics figuring I'll never need them again.

It was my first and only time that I have ever sold any of my tools. Mad

A few months later I started working at a Chevy garage and they kept enough metric tools to get by with when the need arose.
Along about 1978 Chevy and the other American car manufacturers started to use metric on their new cars so again I bought another complete set of metric tools at almost double the cost of the first set.

Never again have I ever sold a tool and now I have more tools than I can ever possibly use. I have quite a few vintage tools such as a complete set of Ford Model T tools and old Ford & John Deere tractors tools. Some of these are pretty valuable but not nearly as valuable as the personal tools passed onto me by my grandfathers.
Someday I'll have my Dads tools also and they will go into the collection and then be passed down to my heirs (granddaughter). Hopefully a boy will pop up along the way but girls make good mechanics too nowadays! Wink

Didn't mean to be so wordy but I think of tools as just another set of hands and I'm not about to cut off any of my parts! Very Happy

I'm glad to hear that you ended up hanging onto everything! Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that I am not alone, next time my mum and dad have a go at me I will tell them to have a look here!

I also treasure stuff left to me by my grandad (sentimental), it used to be his garage. He was really into tools but got pushed into getting rid of loads of stuff over the years. My gran thinks I am emptying the garage as I slowly work through it all, but instead I am filling it up!

My grandad used to make stuff like radios and clocks etc, he left me one little thing, a multimeter that he made in the 50's I think, probably not worth alot of money but to me it is worth more than all of my tools put together!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah old tools are great, shame you couldn't get the ones you found at the tip into your Mini!! you should run a pickup Wink

I keep thinking I'll sell on a few of my larger bits of vintage kit to make some floorspace. Theres an ancient compressor, and an old Devilbiss paint compressor, but they look quite neat and I'm reluctant to let 'em go Rolling Eyes

I've got quite a few old tools stamped up with manufacturer's names on them, eg Austin / Ford / Rolls Royce / Daimler / Jaguar and so on, and some tyre pressure gauges (Rover and Jaguar). One of the rarest (pair of them in fact) things is a neat valve spring compressor, stamped up with Ford Model A on them and produced by/for the Ford service agents. Another nice find a while back was a wrench stamped up for Indian (motorcycles).

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that we are all agreed on this one. One of my most valuable tools is a ring spanner that fits no less than 4 different nuts. That feature in itself is unusual, but the real reason that I value it so highly is because it is stamped Sunbeam, and was part of the tool kit for the actual motorcycle that one of my Uncles crashed on. He later passed away as a result of his injuries.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be the opposite!

In 1977 I bought myself a full toolkit costing at that time £250 which, when you consider my wages were £30 per week was a substantial investment.

I was foolish enough to let people 'borrow' stuff back then which never seemed to come back, and my kids fixed their bikes in the street only to pedal off and leave my spanners on the ground!
I'd also find mole-grips under the sink or wherever the wife had been tinkering etc.

I lost most of the toolkit over the years by attrition, and a couple or three house moves later I had virtually nothing left!
At that time I wasn't doing much with them so didn't seem to notice, it's only now when I come to dismantle my Somerset that I find that I have to resort to adjustables and mole grips more often than not!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustables, now they are the centre of a toolkit! A big adjustable is really handy! I was at college and was dismantling some tracks on a huge digger, I needed a nut off that was huge, the biggest nut I have had to undo, so I went of to the tool stores and asked for the biggest adjustables they had. The storeman said you better come around the back, he gave me a 48" one and said is that big enough! I could hardly lift it nevermind carry it right the way to the workshop! So I settled for a 24 and when I got back I had to return them straight away as my mate had found some stilsons!

Stilsons are the other must have peice of kit, in varring sizes!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the folly of youth!

I learned a long time ago that the best way to destroy a nut or bolt was to use Stilsons or adjustables, and therefore neither of those have a place in my toolbox!

As for lending out tools... the last person that went into my toolbox nearly lost some fingers!
alfanut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stilsons and adjustables are fine......

for fixing broken toilets.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I never use them to undo nut, I use them as hammers!

The onnly time I do use them for there real purpose is if there is a real big fixing on ag stuff, but they work better as wommers!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say"wommers" do you really mean "ommers" as in Liverpool Screwdrivers?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wommers around the south cheshire, north shropshire countryside are hitting tools, simmilar to hammers! Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Wommers' eh? never heard of 'em, I must lead a sheltered life Laughing

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: