classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1970`s Signwriting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Grazy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: 1970`s Signwriting Reply with quote

Hi there , wondering if I could pick your brains please .
I have a 1969 Panel Van to which I want to put signwriting on , I want it to look as if done in the early 70`s so if any of you have links or pictures of delivery vans etc in this era I would be Very grateful , Thankyou

Graeme Wink
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Most signwriting of whatever period conformed to similar stylistic principles.

Signwriters tended to use lettering styles such as italic in those early days whereas today's lettering tends more toward sans-serif type stuff.

You can still have italic lettering done today by computer, although hand lettering is sadly now a dying trade.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In my oppinion, don't get the computer generated writing, I know it is cheaper, but stick to original. It is worth going to a canal centre if you have one local to you, or ask a traction engine owner as both of these normally know a few local signwriters.

If you find a writer of a suitable age, he should be good at the 70's as they probably learnt during this period.

Another thing is to look on google for UK sign boards, a signwriting forum, great site, worth joining!

Cheers and let us know how you get on!

Dave
Grazy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures anyone ???? Very Happy
Grazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone , anything please Wink
stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out these Divco trucks that were used for many years to get some ideas.

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Divco/
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was in my local model shop today and he has had a delivery of Classix models which are Gauge 00 scale.
There are E83s and J types amongst others and although it doesnt appear on this page one of them is a dairy vehicle.
There were quite a few different signwriting styles amongst them.

This was the only site I could find with Classix brand models on it, though there are probably lots more somewhere.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GW-Memorabilia-and-Models_Classix-Diecast-Vehicles_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14944359QQftidZ2QQtZkm
52classic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit the library and check out the section for old newspapers.

Local photographs are bound to yield some pictures of local vans and the adverts in the papers will give a good impression of company logos and type styles.

AIRC older established companies tended to use italic and finer styles with scrolls etc whilst there was a graphics fashion revolution going on with big logos using 'fields' of colour.

Vinyl lettering came in late by seventies but limited colours and fonts - The early machines couldn't do small letters or sharp corners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: