classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

coating for inner wheel arch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: coating for inner wheel arch? Reply with quote

having just removed all the paint, down to bare metal on my Alvis front near side wheel arch/ wing.

whats the best product to paint on the inside of the arch ? I'm thinking of using waxoyl under seal, but will this be sufficient and keep rust at away?
are there any other products that would be good to use?

jason
Gaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason, I'm new to this forum, but I am a Paintsprayer by trade. My personal opinion, although there will be other ways that are just as effective, would be to either give the underside of the arch a couple of coats of self etch primer, then depending if you using the car everyday, or just for shows, you could paint the underside as you would the outside (for shows) or as in my case, give it a good couple of coats of Anti-stone chip body sealant, (this can also be painted over with the same colour as your car.) Very Happy
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in town and reading from my iPhone so didn't reply but that's exactly what I have done on Josephine with most stone chip finishes you DO need an etch primer though as Gaz said
I find that the bitumen based products like the waxoyl product are ok but stay sticky and soon change colour with road dirt, where as painting over the stonechip with body colour it stays cleanable for the shows and of course your dreams Cool

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, is the stone chip stuff brush on or spray?, I've no compressor so brush on would be perfect.

jason
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could brush it on although I have never tried, it usually comes in long cans that take a cheap £10 splatter gun screwed into the top for a compressor, if you could perhaps borrow one?

Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone chip must be sprayed but it comes in aersols as well and one will do each arch.

Its better to etch prime and paint with a suitable enamel which will not react with either primer or stonechip. Stonechips can be sprayed direct onto bare metal but water will get underneath eventually. Same comment goes with Waxoyle which will abrade.wash off in time.

As its been said it depends what you want to look at and what end use you want
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Gaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
cheers, is the stone chip stuff brush on or spray?, I've no compressor so brush on would be perfect.

jason

It can be brushed on, but it's not advisable as it's not really designed for brushing. It will not react with the etch primer. It will however, react with what might be under the etch primer, so, as long as your applying it to a bare metal wing that has been etched, then it will be fine.

I've had a quick search, and I think this would be the ideal underbody sealer for your job. You can get it to use with a brush, and has the added bonus of having waxoyl within the underseal. This means, that once it's applied, it never actually dries fully, so that it's very hard to chip.

I hope this may help. Very Happy

Web link: Hammerite Underseal with Waxoyl
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
Jason wrote:

jason

It can be brushed on, but it's not advisable as it's not really designed for brushing. It will not react with the etch primer. It will however, react with what might be under the etch primer, so, as long as your applying it to a bare metal wing that has been etched, then it will be fine.

I've had a quick search, and I think this would be the ideal underbody sealer for your job. You can get it to use with a brush, and has the added bonus of having waxoyl within the underseal. This means, that once it's applied, it never actually dries fully, so that it's very hard to chip.

I hope this may help. Very Happy

Web link: Hammerite Underseal with Waxoyl

I used this once and had to shave my head, couldn't get the stuff out of my hair, so wear a hat!
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the reply's, I got all the arch (inner and outer) in etch primer last night.

I'm planning on using the car everyday but I want it to look good, as the wheels don't 'fill' the arches a lot of the inner arch is seen.

I think I'll give that hammerite underseal a try.

once again, thanks
jason
Gaz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, be advised, you won't be able to overpaint the Hammerite underseal with paint as you would be able to do with the Anti stonechip sealer.
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers gaz, mmmmm...don't know what to do Laughing

jason
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say it further up but you may have missed it, it will also stay semi wet so will eventually dust over with road grime but it is good if that doesn't matter

This gun is £12 if you can borrow a little compressor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: