classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Metal body mouldings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Metal body mouldings Reply with quote

At some point we're going to need to find a replacement for the horizontal body moulding shown in the photo, it fits on the Dodge mid-way up the main body, running fore and aft just below the window frames, and covering the join between upper and lower panels

The section indicated is a one piece moulding, measuring approx 3" in depth. Can anyone recommend outlets for body mouldings? we'll also be looking for much slimmer pieces to cover the other joints, but I've seen similar on other restored lorries so I guess they will be easier to find than this wide-ish one.

Ta, Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is looks quite a simple moulding, it would be quite easy to mill out of a piece of solid aluminium, you could have what ever size / thickness you wanted then.

Dave
Roverron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a 'male and female' press tool, it woldn't take that long and could be used in a bench vice. I made something similar for a Scott motorcycle I used to own and it worked fine, just moving the steel along a bit at a time.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Roverron wrote:
I would make a 'male and female' press tool, it woldn't take that long and could be used in a bench vice. I made something similar for a Scott motorcycle I used to own and it worked fine, just moving the steel along a bit at a time.

You mentioned in another post having a model engineer near at hand, he might be able to turn up a pair of Male/Female rollers if you can find someone with a small roller press to mount them in.
crownpoint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Body mouldings Reply with quote

I needed similar shaped mouldings for a Morris Minor van. The section is used stiffen the cab floor on the Minor LCV range. It also forms the side protection bars in both van and pickup versions. For pictures of how I made it see: webshots.com Type in 'morris minor roofing' and look in my 'Pickup' album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: