classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stuff you rarely see nowadays
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Stuff you rarely see nowadays Reply with quote

What car-related things were fairly common years ago, but are hardly ever seen now?? my first thoughts are:

- seriously rusty cars
- the above cars, that have been repaired with body filler and the repairs (usually to midway up the car sides) painted over with matt black paint. For some reason I always seem to picture Vauxhall Chevettes with their stonechipped-then-rusty front valances painted this way

Any other good examples???

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five year old cars with leaking windscreens and puddles in the footwell.

Rust Holes on bodypanels.

Doors that 'drop' two inches when you open them.

Stick on pinstriping.

Holts spray can resprays in 'Candyflake' colours! (far out man)

Wipac spotlights.

Wide wheel arch kits.

Rostyle wheels.

Or going back a little further.....

Badge bars and grille muffs.

Stuck on rear window demisters.

Parking lamps.

Exhaust deflectors.

Quarter-lights.

Solid construction!

Wink
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing one car fitted with the 'hairy look' (I've got an advert for it somewhere), a 70s idea where you could make your car look like a gorilla, thanks to stick-on fur stuff Shocked Don't tend to see that nowadays

Also, those little earthing things that would dangle beneath the back bumper

and DIY glass sunroof kits

stringback driving gloves

KL back support things for the seats

rear view mirrors with clocks built into them

home tyre vulcanising kits

plastic wind deflectors that fit at the leading edge of a sliding sunroof opening

.. Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As I am only a little one and not very old, I obviously can't remember that long ago! The one thing I have noticed since I was young till now that is most obvious to me. It seems that there are less people trying to keep there cars running, ie old cars, not classics just old ones around. I suppose that come to cars being cheaper now and people just scraping there cars when they become a challenge to keep running!

Cheers

Dave
rustyreks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: things not often seen these days Reply with quote

Lead solder for repairing dents
fluffy dice hanging from the windscreen mirror
crank handles for starting cars
suicide doors
real metal chrome bumpers and grills
full chassis construction in cars
mechanics who make there own parts
Tyre levers you ask what are they, they are use to remove tyres from rims and yes they do work i still use them saved me alot of money by removing old tyres.
metal hubcaps
6 ply tyres
Carl La Fong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those clear plastic wind deflectors attached to the window of the driver's door.... tartan seat covers.... "sidewinders".... fur-trimmed dashboards (especially in blue nylon fur).... Helphos spotlamps, mounted on the inside of the windscreen.... Esso tiger tails.....vinyl roofs...."Discs" stickers on the boot lid ( I once saw one on a "sit up and beg" Ford Popular)...."automatic" and "overdrive" badges....anti-mist panels....
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe for fans of old stuff, there are 2 pages of period ads on the main site, first page is http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/oldadvertisements.htm

Rick
alfanut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car model names that don't sound like a Greek island or a character from Doctor Who Sad
Johno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probabley off the tac a little but you dont seem to see as many metal coat hangers used as arials as you used to see, or painted on white walls and little chrome portholes that went on the sides of mudguards, and stickers in the window telling everyone where the car had been.
Floride

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Stuff you rarely see these days Reply with quote

Interesting list.

Clip on parking light that attched to the side window with red and white lens, still got my dads in the garage. Must have plugged into the cigar/cigarette socket (I read in a new car brochure that its now called something like a 12V power supply)

Height adjustable width indicator that attached to the front wing. Used it on our ex-Morris Oxford MO ('52) as the nearside wing was much lower than the bonnet.

Still have a whole host of garage items from when my parents had a garage many years ago. Difference being that kit was made to last and it has.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You will have to post some pictures of these Garage items so we can gaze and and have a good day dream!!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: