classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hun plane falls victim to UK technology
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Hun plane falls victim to UK technology Reply with quote

Recently came across an old book amongst my late father-in-laws effects: It was called 'Hells Corner 1940.' Inside the book was a picture of the old chap, some photographs and a 'Trophy.'
I remember him telling me about a ME109 coming down In Smeeth (Kent) and as a member of the British Rail Home Guard, capturing the pilot single handed.
Reports state that he fired a warning shot over the pilots head as he got out of the aircraft... truth was, the father-in-law fell down a ditch and the gun went off.
The pilot was truly terrified and surrendered immediately.
Wanting some sort of trophy of the skirmish, the only thing he could remove from the aircraft was some sort of rating plate from the cockpit.

Here are pictures of the plate, and our forces using our superior technology to remove the aircraft.

exbmc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: ME109 Reply with quote

I have a german contact, who is an engineer and can do technical translation. If no one has explained this interesting souvenir, by the time i see him again, i will get it done. As you say, it's a rating plate, for engine and aircraft operating conditions i would say.
Top right is BF109 and DB601A, which is aircraft type and engine.
V-max is like the modern Vne, the speed to never exceed, and maybe 3000 revs max engine speed. The middle figures, may be boost pressure in bar and the length of time it can be held for. Nice find, thanks for posting.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks exbmc, it's been sitting in an envelope for the last 72 years and would be interesting to have more info.

Don.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting picture, and a nice little souvenir to boot.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can work out the horse power by just looking at the photo!
exbmc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: ME109E data plate Reply with quote

Right, my friend Felix turned up today, and i had a print of the plate with me. Before flying any aircraft, pilots are supposed to read the handbook. This plate is a sort of factory fit, aid memoir in case the pilot should forget any important details, if changing models frequently.
The top numbers Nr 4010 is the factory build number, followed by as we said BF109E, powered by a DB601A engine.
Kunstflugtauglich, means aerobatically able, or just aerobatic to us.
Hohe is altitude and the figures to the right are either thousands of feet or meters, don't know how long the plate is. Eight thousand meters is about 25000 feet, so perfectly normal for a 109.
Under that is Zul Kuhl Staff Temp. This is additional cooling, probably radiator shutters, which have to be deployed to get the coolant temperature down to the figures quoted for various heights. Height reduces glycol boiling point.
Under the temp chart is time,pressure and rpm. Zeit, Druck etc
Stand is stationary engine run up, and maybe taxi. Start is a bit vague, and Felix thinks it is not start up, but start of take off run.
Flug is in flight, there is the 5 minute limited climb, or used to get away from trouble. Then a 30 minute rating, and Dauer is continuous cruise. The figures are as we thought, supercharged air pressure in bar, and RPM.
Sturz Flug, is deep dive, or attack dive when you have to ensure the airframe and/or unloaded propeller do not exceed the rated speeds.
Reichweite fur 400ltr,Gesantbrennstaffmenge, is simply range on full fuel load. It gives 1 hour at cruise conditions. Thirsty!
Early 109's had only about 100 miles range, so 10 to 15 minutes over Kent was about it, before going home. Combat power made this worse. Belly drop tanks started to be fitted, but after the B of B i believe. Hope you find this useful. Felix flies a Cessna 177RG Cardinal, so his own experience and being a native german speaker, he should have translated the plate ok.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
HoHe figures bound to be metres, it is a German aircraft after all.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I shall put the translation on a card with the plate, give my regards and thanks to your friend.

Don.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D/B engine 601a gave in its early form 1,175hp at take-off and was fitted to the E-3,the drop tanks were fitted to the E-7 from August 1940 and either a drop tank or a single sc250kg bomb could be carried,strange that my book gives the drop tank as 300lit and this plate says 400lt .
exbmc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: fuel cap Reply with quote

The 400 litres on the rating plate, are for the aircraft's own fuel tank only. This was contoured, to fit in the central part of the fuselage. I cannot find any info amongst my books, where it was ever increased in size as the 109 was developed, and power / performance improvements were made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Historic Aviation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: