classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fury battery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, decided to take the battery off today, ready to give it a good charge, it was all furry again!

Had a good look and all round the top it has cracked. Only a year or two old aswell!

I think I will go for a normal 6V battery this time, hard rubber seems to be not up to it, and damn expensive to buy!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds very strange, I've never had an old rubber case battery do that (I've had one or two removed from ancient vehicles in that condition, but they've been sat 20-30 years or so)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well what a cuffuffle!!!

I got a new battery, had to be a hard rubber number, 112 Amp hrs, so got some oomph!! Nearly £100 though, so I went to try it out, the damn thing is too wide to go in the battery tray!!

Couldn't take it back as it has now been filled with acid, and they are stored dry when new!!

So be damned if I am not using it, I decided to modify the tray! Cut it ans welded it up, needs smoothing off, but seems to fit nicely, just clears the bonnet when closed. Put the bracket on to hold it down, and the damn bonnet foulds on it! Blimin heck I am starting to get angry now!! I then had to modify my bracket and crank the bolt, seems to work, and the bonnet will close but think I will have to rethink it and tidy things up eventually, maybe even buy a smaller battery!

Anyway, I think it will work now so that is good!

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

112 amps will give you plenty cranking power Dave.
Shame you never tried it before filling it up though Sad
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I should have done really but as it was only an inch bigger than my old one, and there was about 1/2" gap on either side of the old one, I thought it would fit, but was about 1/4" out in my thinking! Sad

I was also had the option of this one or 60AHRS or a lengthy wait, as batteries are becoming harder to get, especially hard rubber 6 volt ones, due to an extreme shortage or lead.

Where is best to take old batteries for scrap value, the batter shop offered me £2.50 for each old one, but then again, how much would the scrappers offer me!

Cheers

Dave
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
112 amps will give you plenty cranking power Dave.
So... in a 6v battery is 112 Amps the equiavent of a 66 Amp 12v battery? Still pretty chunky though.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread and was reminded about this horrible problem of neutralising spilt battery acid.

In the past I've never been very successful especially where it has got into metal seams but recently I discovered that thick Domestos works well as it leaves plenty of alkaline material nicely stuck there.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: