classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spray Cans?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Spray Cans? Reply with quote

Got to spray a few smaller metal parts inside the cab of my lorry, window surrounds / dash panel etc. I thought I might just use rattle cans instead of loading the spray gun up.

Any thoughts or even brands that may be worth a look at?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have found they vary in quality quite significantly. The best ones (I have found) are the ones made up at the local paint shop, you know exactly what paint is going in, they are manually pressurised and cost a fraction of the ones sold in Halfords and the like.

You can also have them made up with fade in thinner which will assist in blending to existing paintwork.

I think my local paint supplier charges about £4 for a can

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Dave, have used both what he mentioned for quick touch ups and cans sold at ironmongers and the like and though not bad, I tend to prefer the ones from motor paint shops.
You can have even 1k or 2k spray cans nowadays whereas they have a small button at the bottom which you press to release the hardner and then shake well.
Drawback is the paint left will be destined for the bin as it goes rock solid if unused!!
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree also! The best aerosol I have ever used was mixed up to a colour of my choosing by these people.

They will send them to you if you order from their website, highly recommended Cool

I am not associated with them, just a very happy customer.

http://www.express-paints.co.uk/
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once did a "cheap" repair job for a work colleague on his Mini. I bought the (black) paint in a rattle can from Halfords. It had the correct number for the car so I felt confident. When finished, the paint job looked good. Very good. At least it did in the daylight.

It was only when we filled up under the artificial lights of the petrol station that the new paint showed up as a completely different shade from the rest of the car!

I was embarrassed, to say the least, and re- did the paint properly.
peppiB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a full car sprayed with rattle cans. Although not brilliant it looks a lot better than the hash of a job done by a so called 'professional' Couldn't complain because of the heavies that appeared. They have since been raided by armed police Shocked and closed down.

I bought the colour matched paint mail order from

www.jawel.co.uk

I have no connection with that company but have used them for years. Their rattle cans are fitted with 'pro' spray nozzles which give broader coverage than accessory shop ones.

When health/funds permit I will give her a final top coat with the spray gun
(11 cans gave the whole car 2 reasonable coats)
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in South Africa aerosols of Duco (nitro-cellulose lacquer) were sold by one of the supermarket chains. As the Morris had been painted with Duco when restored I've used the black aerosols for various touching-up over the years, and indeed used them to respray various smaller parts such as headlamps and even the entire rear apron following repair.

Duco's so easy to work with, and imperfections are easily polished out with Brasso. A decent clip-on handle/trigger makes aerosols a lot easier to use.

Richard
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as the dashboard is silver I took a chance and ordered some cans. Two good coats later and I am quite pleased with the result. They weren't the cheapest or the most expensive, on smaller items I will probably use them again.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to buying paint I'd urge you to use the small local paint supplier...paint costs a lot to post or ship because it's relitavley heavy, buying on line will be pricey, and they can only mix to a formula (unless I suppose one sends them a sample).. The final reason is that there is quite a big margin in paint........so if in the interests of saving paper & forests you happen to mention that a recipt is not required the paint supplier will be able to discount that the price Wink , I bought some aerosols today 4x400mL cans for £15 Smile all mixed colours.

I do like to be environmentally friendly Smile
Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
...so if in the interests of saving paper & forests you happen to mention that a recipt is not required the paint supplier will be able to discount that the price Wink

Some people nowadays may, however, need to be reminded that for such an arrangement to work it is necessary to pay for the paint with untraceable cash - cards are out as they leave a papertrail...

ukdave2002 wrote:

I do like to be environmentally friendly Smile
Dave

+1 Very Happy
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to use a local supplier but unfortunately we don't have any round here anymore. I will probably end up travelling a little further afield to chat to a supplier in person rather than have things posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: