classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

'Barn find' Mark 6 Bentley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: 'Barn find' Mark 6 Bentley. Reply with quote

Now then...

This looks interesting. Obviously the date is wrong but that aside, but this might just be a sleeper. If the bidding is depressed it could be a cheap entry into the rarified world of Bentley motors. Be prepared to add on the cost of new radial tyres and battery for starters.

Ashley loved his Mark 6 (what ever happened to Ashley?)

I know one would need to spend quite a bit to get her back on the road but this looks to me like an honest old car.

Some potentially serious issues:

Is the engine free?

What is the issue with the missing radiator cap and fan belt?

No paperwork. How difficult would it be to get a new V5?

Underneath? I have seen worse!

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-198---1956-bentley/?lot=16211&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=46&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=3&g=1
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old bus indeed.
Shame about the fuel consumption of these tho, for regular daily useage ? { Although a couple of decades ago one was regularly used by a villager where I lived....tatty, but useable. }

A viable alternative to using as a daily, a Series Land Rover, perhaps?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Good old bus indeed.
Shame about the fuel consumption of these tho, for regular daily useage ? { Although a couple of decades ago one was regularly used by a villager where I lived....tatty, but useable. }

A viable alternative to using as a daily, a Series Land Rover, perhaps?

I was thinking if I could keep it under cover, I could use it as a replacement for my P38. I don't do many miles now so fuel consumption would be less important than in the past.

I do know the pitfalls. My Dad once explained how the cylinder bores were hard chromed which makes a re bore expensive. On the other hand, the chances are that a new set of rings and valve grind alone would probably solve a smokey exhaust; something I could manage.

They do have a tendency to rust badly; especially underneath. This is largely due to the poor quality steel that even Bentley had to contend with in the aftermath of WW2. If not too bad, a good Waxoil would do no harm.

This is one of the 4 1/2 litre 'big bore small boot' cars with several improvements over the original 4 1/4 litre cars such as a full flow oil filter and twin exhausts... but if it was only the later R type that benefitted from the high speed axle I am not sure?. In any event, it is a useful modification that can be carried out at home as a straight 'pumpkin' exchange is available. The original gearing does tend to be too low for today's motoring needs and so a high speed rear axle is popular among Mark 6 owners.

There is another Bentley in this auction - an R Type - from the same location ...but it would be too long. The Mark 6 at just 16ft whichfit nicely in my garage!

What attracted me to this particular car is that it looks like one that could be used and gradually improved - assuming it can be made to run in the first place! Laughing
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The registration is on the DVLA database as a 1956 Bentley so a new V5 should be no problem.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
The registration is on the DVLA database as a 1956 Bentley so a new V5 should be no problem.

Does it not matter that the Mark 6 was only built between 1946 and 1952 ?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted from a certain partisan website:

Bentley 4¼ litre:

This engine has overhead inlet and side exhaust structure with an aluminium cylinder head held to a cast iron block with 3 rows of studs. Like the Jaguar 3½ litre there is no water circulation around cylinders 2 and 5. A number of design elements can cause problems. Bypass oil filtering and unfiltered rocker feed can limit bearing life and the unusual use of chrome cylinder liners that only extend part the way down the cylinders tends to cause a step at the transition resulting in havoc with the rings but the most serious weakness is probably due to the design of the water circulation within the block. This tends to cause localised overheating problems at the exhaust valves and can lead to cracks between the exhaust valve seats and the cylinders.

Bentley 4½ litre:

This engine is very similar to the 4¼ litre but doesn't suffer from the smaller engine's bypass oil filtering, however the larger bores only serve to accentuate the cylinder and overheating issues.

Peter Wink
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a very good basis as a rolling project. Also a good entry as you say into this market of car...
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.

I can't say I haven't been warned, can I?

As I said, my Dad warned about the partial chroming. It would explain why he was so annoyed about the rebuild cost.

Then there are the overheating issues.

No quick fixes with these engines, then! Embarassed

NB. On closer examination I am not sure this is a 4 1/2 litre version. The fresh air vents which should be in the lower scuttle are absent as is the second exhaust pipe ...which all indicate a somewhat less proficient and earlier 4 1/4 car. The earlier cars have a single flap vent under the windscreen; omitted on the big bore cars. This has just the one flap.

Truth be told, what with an incorrect date and no paperwork, Mathewson's don't really know what they are selling. Rolling Eyes

Should I raise the issue with the Auctioneers? ...or just leave it to someone else Question

(Mark 6 chassis restoration)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUs_gN4KTcc
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark 6 Bentley sold for £9,600.

Bargain?

Of course, it might be a lemon. Some have cost £100K to restore to concours Shocked (if that is your thing Confused )
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone on here being the highest bidder??
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Anyone on here being the highest bidder??

Jean would have lynched me. Shocked

Laughing

(Incidentally, having re read Ashley's blog I discovered that the corrosion above the windscreen could indicate that the body has been re mounted incorrectly with the back sinking and trying to pull the roof off at the front !! Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and at the other end of the scale...

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1623567

I know it is expensive but this lovely example is not as high priced as some. Importantly, there is a detailed article from the previous long term owner here...

https://www.kda132.com/b40pv-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing/

It just shows, I think, what can be done.

I like the idea of the similar (but better) S1 4.9 litre engine to transform the performance.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDA 132 belongs - or did belong - to "Ashley", a former frequenter of this parish.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
KDA 132 belongs - or did belong - to "Ashley", a former frequenter of this parish.

RJ

Exactly. I did ask earlier what ever happened to him? We seemed to enjoy a bit of banter from time to time. Despite our differences over hot rods I always had great respect for his abilities.

A read of the article by Giles Usher reveals that he purchased the restored S1 4.9 engine from Ashley.

There are two benefits of the S1 in the Mark 6.
1) no more worries about the chrome cuff liners which have proved to be catastrophic in the 4.2 and 4.6 engines.

2) A substantial increase in performance which transforms the performance of these delightful cars.

Last edited by Ray White on Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: