classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

paint removel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rustynail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: paint removel Reply with quote

Hello
What is the best way to remove the paint off my wolseley 680 ive been using a scraper and its been coming off pretty easy what about paint stripper in a tin any ideas it has brown primer then grey primer then top coat which is blue
Thanks Rustynail
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally (there are exceptions) use a DA sander and either 80 or sometimes 40 grit. some friends though get them media blasted with walnut shells, though this is a pro job...

The trouble with paint stripper is that it has to be neutralised afterwards, and sometimes that is not easy.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Get some discs for the grinder, I think they are knotted nylon, but make sure they are designed for removing paint (I don't want to be blamed for you getting the wrong discs!).

I use them and they look like a knot of black plastic, frosts sell them and say it takes X number of them to strip there Impala. They work well, strip paint and filler, but not sound metal.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the discs you mention are the ones made by Eastwood in the US. They certainly look similar, and I know that Frost sell a lot of their stuff. Ask yourself a question. If these discs are so good, why do you never see or hear of a TOP LEVEL pro bodyman using them?
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something similar to the knotted nylon - only they go in the drill. They are sheets of the nylon laid together to make a cylinder and remove paint and rust but not metal. I buy mine at car shows or autojumbles - about £1 a time. Haven't managed to destroy one as yet so they have a good lifespan.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I just read, these were originally available for an electric drill, and have been developed for use with grinders.

Thers an old adage that applies to these items...better the devil you know than the devil you dont...
Rustynail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Paint removel Reply with quote

How do i go inside door jams etc
Rustynail
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: paint removel Reply with quote

Rustynail wrote:
Hello
What is the best way to remove the paint off my wolseley 680 ive been using a scraper and its been coming off pretty easy what about paint stripper in a tin any ideas it has brown primer then grey primer then top coat which is blue
Thanks Rustynail

I had a paint removal problem on my Sprite, the wings had so many layers of paint I almost despaired, I found paint stripper would barely remove one layer at a time, as it dried so quickly before penetrating.
The answer: apply the paint remover and immediately cover it with clingfilm to stop it evaporating, I found I could remove twice as much paint this way.
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint removel Reply with quote

Rustynail wrote:
How do i go inside door jams etc
Rustynail

The nylon abrasive wheels I use on the drill come in a variety of sizes and shapes to get into all those difficult places. if the drill cable is causing me problems, I revert to the cordless one instead.
Rustynail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: paint removel Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help much appreciated
Rustynail
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
If these discs are so good, why do you never see or hear of a TOP LEVEL pro bodyman using them?

Maybe because they don't last long and are very expensive. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: