classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

1953 Ford Anglia E494A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been mulling over how best to preserve the Anglia's 70yr-old paint, in this video I make a start on improving the overall look and consistency of finish across its paintwork, talk about the benefits (and risks) of using boiled linseed oil on the paint, and ramble on about a discovery of many Holts etc motor products in the back of a van found in a Yorkshire scrapyard that date to the same year as the Ford, 1952.
https://youtu.be/CSEHGyAT3z4

RJ
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky balance to strike. As soon as you do anything you can't readily undo it. I think you got it about right on this one, the colour really helps because it doesn't look ultra glossy even when it is, so you can hold back on the polishing a bit to give a nicer more uniform finish all over the car.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous vid mentions, the starter motor refused to kick into life when I tried starting it a couple of days prior to Drive It Day. In the end it just proved to be burnt contacts in the switch, so quite an easy fix. Today's upload to YT covers the process, fortunately there's always the handle to fall back on but I really wanted the motor to work.
https://youtu.be/pSWFm39cbc0

RJ
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of our readers ever have a Mini with the Oselli Engineering starter handle conversion?
If so was it a successful idea which had many uses but fell out of favour for transverse engines because batteries became more reliable?

Is ithis the same company?
http://www.oselli.com/about

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman
Sorry, no starter handle, but I do have an 'Oselli Tuned' tag on thin aluminium if it is of relevance to you.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick's starter problem reminded me of the tales I had heard of starting handle for Minis.
I was never sure whether it was an urban myth or not, so I started googling for it and came up with references to it including pictures and that website which does appear to be the same company.

Straight 6
V8 V10
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly existed, though I don't recall if Oselli was involved - more likely Speedwell? Oselli was more known for quality performance parts.
I think you had to either turn the wheel to full lock or maybe even remove it, in order to insert the handle. A similar trick was to jack up one wheel on full lock, put the car in gear & rotate the wheel with your foot while setting tappets etc..
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Did any of our readers ever have a Mini with the Oselli Engineering starter handle conversion?
If so was it a successful idea which had many uses but fell out of favour for transverse engines because batteries became more reliable?

Is ithis the same company?
http://www.oselli.com/about

I remember as a kid in the 70's my Dad changing his Triumph Herald, for an Austin 1300, he was frustrated that the later didn't have a starting handle as every one of his previous cars had, so he made something that involved jacking the car up on one side, his contraption bolted on to the wheel hub, used a MM starter handle. Later he accepted that the Austin 1300 was the first car he had owned with an alternator with a decent capacity battery! and never required a starting handle !

Dave
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what got me started on the Oselli conection.
[/img]

Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: